# Write to the MBR. Assuming grub.conf is intact, continue with the process. Type "grub" (return) to enter the grub shell.
Tell grub where to find the requisite files. If you know where they are, enter something like:
(hd0,1) means primary controller master, second partition. If you DON'T know where they are, type:
This command will install grub on the MBR of the first drive.
# Type quit and reboot. Everything should proceed normally.
In our case, the details were all identical except that we used (hd0,0) in place of (hd0,1) because our /boot was on the first partition of the first drive.
This set of commands will get rid of the stupid gcj java that is packaged with Fedora and other Linux distros and replace it with the real java from Oracle.
alternatives --config java
alternatives --remove java /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java
alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/latest/bin/java 1
alternatives --config javac
alternatives --remove javac /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj/bin/javac
alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /usr/java/latest/bin/javac 1
update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun
This sets the hash algorithm and the payload compression used by RPM to be compatible with older versions of rpm. This avoids the following errors:
error: Failed dependencies:
rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by x
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by x
I found a post by someone who had the same problem. She/he had called Dell support who told her/him that Dell did not support Linux for that printer, but that the printer is actually a rebadged Samsung CLX-3175 printer.
I visited the Samsung web site and was really happy to see that Samsung to a great job of supporting their printers on Windows, Mac and Linux. I was able to download a Linux tarball that contained the necessary drivers wrapped up in an easy to use installer.
After installing the tarball my printer was working.
Thanks to the people at Samsung! Excellent work for your top class Linux support.
I tracked down a forum post that showed me how to run it from the command line:
This was very useful because I showed that I was missing a number of old shared libraries on which the VMWare console plugin relies: libexpat.so.0 and libstdc++.so.5.
It was then a simple matter of installing the two RPMS: compat-expat1 and compat-libstdc++-33.